I have one thing made tonight I can’t talk about quite yet, but another I’m happy to share.
First though, I seek the wisdoms of the internets.
During the night’s first project, though, I noticed odd behavior from my machine. It’s skipping stitches. It’ll go along for a couple of inches at its prescribed stitch length, and then suddenly skip a half inch. Reliably. I had to sew around the first project twice, which resulted in a lot of seams looking like this:
That’s a double-stitched row. What the heck is that? To bypass it, I had to set my stitch length to “infinitesimal.”
Also during the to-be-discussed-tomorrow project, I cut the wrong fabric sizes not once, not twice, but four times. Four. Holy effing bleep. It’s truly a pity, because it’s a very, very nice, soft, organic cotton in a shade I love. The fabric comes with one side already hemmed. Weird, but cool.
Remember the pin-up girl fabric? Of course you do!
Barbara and The Other Erin helped me get the pattern for the apron pinned and cut out last week, and tonight I finally summoned up the courage to attack the assembly process. There was a bit of swearing, and a 20-minute period where I just sat and reread the same three steps over and over and over again, aloud, backwards, fiddling with fabric trying to make it make sense… I was completely flummoxed.
Finally, I gave up in a huff and stalked to my desk to do email. In a note to Barbara, I was about to describe my vexation when I looked over to try to gather words to describe the depths of despair I had reached. Seeing the fabric from this new angle broke through the barrier and I instantly knew what I’d been doing wrong. Incidentally – Amy Butler fabrics? Fabulous. Amy Butler patterns? Not so much.
Thus, I now have an apron bodice assembled. I would be slightly more gleeful if my wamdigious tatas had a chance in hell of fitting into it, but perhaps someday. For now, I’ll merely get the thing together and see how it goes.
As I was sewing up the bodies ties that go behind one’s (petite) neck, I heard two immense THUMPS from the needle. Uh-oh. I thought I’d gotten all the pins out… nope. Not the one on the back side. I use flat-head, button-shaped pins. How handy, because:
That was fun to wrassle out. Fortunately, it was only about three inches into the start of the seam, so ripping was not a big deal. The teeny-tiny stitch length, however, was unfun.
In the end, this is what we have:
The girl’s face is getting a bit wonky from pleats, but once the giant boobies are in there, it’ll strech her right back out again.
The ties are not the same width, and I’m sure there’s plenty else wrong with it, but I’m finishing this sucker, whether it likes it or not!